The absolute certainty of the everlasting covenant
The phrase "everlasting covenant" (Hebrew: berit olam) and similar declarations that God's covenant or covenant-related promises are eternal appear throughout the Tanakh. Depending on how one counts repeated references, there are about 19 key passages. Here are the principal ones:
Genesis 9:16 – God's covenant with Noah
"The everlasting covenant between God and every living creature."
Genesis 17:7 – Covenant with Abraham
"I will establish My covenant... for an everlasting covenant."
Genesis 17:13 – Circumcision
"My covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant."
Genesis 17:19 – Covenant with Isaac
"I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant."
Exodus 31:16 – The Sabbath
"The children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath... for an everlasting covenant."
Leviticus 24:8 – The showbread
"An everlasting covenant."
Numbers 18:19 – Covenant of salt with Aaron
"It is an everlasting covenant of salt."
Numbers 25:12 – Covenant of peace with Phinehas
"Behold, I give unto him My covenant of peace."
Numbers 25:13 – Priesthood of Phinehas
"It shall be unto him... the covenant of an everlasting priesthood."
2 Samuel 23:5 – David
"He has made with me an everlasting covenant."
1 Chronicles 16:17
"An everlasting covenant."
Psalm 89:28
"My covenant shall stand firm with him forever."
Psalm 105:10
"An everlasting covenant."
Isaiah 24:5
"They have broken the everlasting covenant."
Isaiah 55:3
"I will make an everlasting covenant with you."
Isaiah 61:8
"I will make an everlasting covenant with them."
Jeremiah 32:40
"I will make an everlasting covenant with them."
Ezekiel 16:60
"I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant."
Ezekiel 37:26
"Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant."
A few observations
The Abrahamic covenant is explicitly called everlasting several times (Genesis 17).
The Sabbath is called an everlasting covenant (Exodus 31:16).
The Davidic covenant is described as everlasting (2 Samuel 23; Psalm 89).
The future restoration of Israel is repeatedly described as an everlasting covenant (Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel).
These passages consistently emphasize that God's covenant purposes are enduring and are not presented as temporary arrangements that He later abandons. Instead, the Tanakh repeatedly describes them as everlasting, forever, or perpetual, underscoring God's faithfulness to His promises.
Comments
Post a Comment